Important partnership between Pipistrel and Green Motion, aimed to develep an universal battery charge technology to electric aircraft.
This new charging infrastructure will be in line with approvals of EASA, European Union Aviation Safety Agency.
By obtaining of the first ever type certificate for an electric airplane from EASA, Pipistrel with its Velis Electro has indeed affirmed that the electric market will grow. With its FLIGHT XT, one of the world’s first electric plane charger already in use in two airports in Switzerland, Green Motion has gained extensive knowledge of electric airplane charging.
Slovenia’s small aircraft producer and Swiss’s electric vehicles’ charging company share a lot in common. Both have complementary technologies setting the future of electric mobility. Pipistrel is shaping the aviation industry by developing and delivering cutting-edge electric airplane. Green Motion is raising the bar of electric vehicle charging for cars, two-wheelers, trucks, airplanes, and Urban Air Mobility (UAM). Both companies are putting user experience and exceptional quality at the heart of everything they do, to foster environmentally friendly and affordable ways of transportation.
Now they join forces to create an electric airplane charging solution that will bring:
- Universality: currently, there is no standard for electric plane charging. As a result, each airport is equipped differently. This partnership will enable to create a worldwide standard in electric plane charging.
- Future-Proof: Green Motion being at the cutting edge of EV charging and Pipistrel at the forefront of electric airplane manufacturing, the two companies will design a charging solution that is here to last and evolve with the latest technologies on the market.
- Turnkey installation: the innovative electric aircraft charging solution will be easy to install and combined with a photovoltaic system, as solar technologies also help airports receive subsidies. It can be complemented with cutting-edge storage solutions to enable self-consumption.
- A network of electric planes charging stations: using Green Motion’s software expertise and track record in creating and operating EV networks, the two companies envision to create the first EV charging network for electric planes and UAM.
- Setting the standard: Green Motion and Pipistrel are members of SAE International’s AE-7D Aircraft Energy Storage and Charging Committee, which gives them a privileged position in the setup of an internationally accepted aerospace standard in e-flight charging.
Ivo Boscarol, Founder and president of Pipistrel companies says.
I am dedicating my life to contributing to a cleaner atmosphere and emission-free aviation. Type certifying the first all-electric airplane was the necessary step towards this goal. As part of the endeavour, Pipistrel was forced to develop and produce almost everything in house, including the chargers. However, to assure a significant change to cleaner atmosphere, widespread use of electric aircraft is a must, and we need to spread the network of chargers to airports all over the world. This cannot be achieved by Pipistrel alone, but with a skilled and distinguished partner as Green Motion, this becomes a reality. I am happy that our SkyCharge stations will grow further with its potential into a common new brand SkyCharge by Green Motion and Pipistrel, to offer electric aircraft users a breakthrough, connected and a turn key service all over the world.
François Randin, Founder and CEO of Green Motion says:
Green Motion has worked on electric airplane and UAM charging solutions for over two years. We see the beginning of this new market like we did more than 11 years ago with electric cars. After being a pioneer for electric cars, we are now a trail blazer in electric aircrafts charging too. That is why we are so proud and honoured to partner with Pipistrel, a worldrenowned aircraft producer which has complementary technology and mindset to ours, so we can define the future of electric planes together.
Source: Green Motion